Over the years, the Debut Authors have been asking their Book Publishing Company about how many books they will print for the money that the former is willing to pay to the latter. It has been really difficult to make the Debuts understand the difference between Printing and Publishing.
It is very imperative to understand that the money charged by a Book Publishing Company is not only for printing a required set of books but also for those services that the Publisher has to pay to make the book ready for printing. This cost has to be paid by the Book Publishing Company to several teams and tie-ups working with him.
In other words, Publishing is a wider term whereas; printing is just a part of it. Having said that we need to understand, what all steps are included in Publishing and how printing is just a part of it?
- Selection of Manuscript to be Published – Generally taken care of by the Review Team.
- Helping the Author to subscribe to a suitable Publishing Package – taken care of by Project Management Team.
- Editing and Proofreading the Manuscript – taken care of by Editorial Team.
- Formatting the Entire Manuscript – take care of by Project Management Team.
- Typesetting the Script as per the Book Size required by the Author – taken care of by Typesetting and Designing Team.
- Designing the Book Cover – taken care of by Designing Team.
- Applying for the ISBN from ISBN Agency – taken care of by Project Management Team.
- Deciding the MRP & Royalty – mutually decided by Project Management Team and the Author of the Book.
- Printing the Book – taken care of by Printing Press.
- Online and Offline Distribution of Books – taken care of by the Sales and Inventory Management Team.
- Marketing of Book & Author – taken care of by Marketing Team.
- Post Publishing Support – taken care of Post Publishing Support Team.
As we saw in the above list of things that are to be done by a Book Publishing Company, Printing is just a part of it. Publishing not only includes the cost that has to be borne by a Book Publishing Company to make the book ready for print, but it also includes keeping the book in inventory for the lifetime, taking care of reprints, selling the book online, and distribution of Royalty to the author for the coming years.
Hence, the cost of Printing is just a part of the total cost to be borne by the Book Publishing Company for all the above processes.
Know about Types of Publishers in India